Pages

Friday 13 January 2012

Poetry Prompts - Finding Inspiration

In a previous blog post, I had a go at writing a children's poem. Inspired by this, I had a look for blogs about children's poetry and came across a blog called 'Monday's Child' which is dedicated to childrens poetry, stories and verse.

Every week a picture is posted up as an inspirational 'prompt' and you can post up your work. I thought this was a fantastic idea, and when I had a go it really got the creative juices flowing. I posted my poem on the site, but here it is - along with the prompt illustration. I think I'll try this every week!

Illustration by Kay Akers



The Pink Balloon

The pink balloon floats slowly by,
on its magical journey through the sky.
Passing above the busy streets –
the grasping hands, and running feet.

Its round face smiles a shiny grin,
as it dances softly with the wind;
and trips upon the mellow breeze,
that gently moves the summer leaves.

Above a woman pushing a pram –
past the delivery driver man.
Over the fields and churches with spires;
away from the trees and telephone wires.

So happy and buoyant and flying so free;
just think of all the things it will see!
Above the rooftops, above the town -
never stopping, or coming down.

By Emma Barrett

1 comment: