Pages

Thursday 5 January 2012

Children's Poetry

When I studied for my BA in Literature, the final module I took was in Children’s Literature. I went into this module thinking that it might be ‘quite easy’: a ‘break from the heavy going modules’ I had taken, such as Nineteenth Century Literature and Shakespeare. But it wasn’t very long before I realised what a fascinating and complicated genre it is, and I developed what I believe, will be a lifelong passion for children’s literature and poetry.

So what are the characteristics of a children’s poem? Well, all poetry should sound good when it’s read aloud – especially children’s poetry. It needs rhythm and meter – that ‘musical’ quality. Again, as with all poetry, it needs to be packed full of images which convey meaning; whether that’s through use of metaphor, similes or personification, or language that appeals to our senses.

So, I decided to have a go at writing a children’s poem. Where better to start than reading Penguin’s 100 Best Poems for Children. Put together by Roger McGough, it is comprised of poems chosen by children themselves.

I wanted my poem to tell a story – to read like a little like a fairytale. It is inspired by one of the poems in the book: Old Meg by John Keats (http://www.john-keats.com/gedichte/meg_merrilies.htm). In my usual style it is quite dark, and perhaps a little too dark for children, but I think that much of this type of children’s poetry is quite scary – I am thinking of the overall tone of Lewis Carroll’s Jabberwocky for instance. I hope you like it; I really enjoyed writing it.
Photo by Ms Tea - Flickr.com

The Sea Witch

At the bottom of the sea,
in the dark of deep;
The Sea Witch dwells inside her caves -
underneath the hungry waves.

Her loom is made from sailor’s bones,
drowned upon the reef;
and taken down to Davey Jones,
to weave her coats of grief.

‘Beware the sea witch' sailors warn,
In dark, and smoky taverns.
For fear of waking up to find,
They are lost inside her caverns.

Listen well, the sailor’s say, and you may hear
upon the waves,
The bones that clack, and snap, and crack -
As she pushes her loom, forward and back.

2 comments:

  1. Love the poem emma, especially "the bonesthat clack, and snap, and crack"

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for joining Poets United. I have added your blog to our blogroll so others can discover you and your wonderful poetry. Poets United is what you make of it so explore, comment often and it will lead to folks doing so in return. We look forward to visiting your blog and reading your poetry.

    Your imagination is what fuels our community.

    ~ Robert Lloyd (Poets United)

    ReplyDelete